Welcome to another edition of The Affiliate Buzz, where affiliate marketers come to be inspired, informed and motivated. Arlene is away this week, but James is happy to have the chance to reconnect with Jonathan Miller of OfferForge, Africa’s leading performance based marketing company. It’s been eight years since the last time Jonathon was on the show, so James will ask him how things have changed in pay for performance world.
Jonathan Miller is the CEO of Johannesburg based, OfferForge. Like James, Jonathon is a veteran of affiliate marketing, having started in the industry in 1997. He started his business in 2001, with no funding, no employees, and working out of his garage. OfferForge provides a full range of online marketing solutions underpinned by a commitment to technological excellence and honesty in online lead generation and customer acquisition. Jonathon’s success has made him a popular international conference speaker, blogger, and strategist.
A lot has changed since the last time James and Jonathon spoke. As you probably recall, the world underwent a major economic crisis in the fall of 2008. Jonathon will tell us how it sparked a new generation of entrepreneurs. He’ll also tell us how the spread of technology in Africa differs from the West. Then they’ll get into the knitty-gritty of pay for performance marketing.
The Ups and Downs of Pay for Performance Marketing
Jonathon’s cutting edge technological know-how is based in a solid business foundation. He reminds us that, “As much as the landscape has changed, it’s all stayed the same. It’s about finding the right customers and treating them fairly and openly.”
Pay for performance is a great way to do just that. On the affiliate side, it keeps marketers sharp and innovative. You’re only as good as your last transaction. On the advertiser side, pay for performance offers a stable, transparent, predictable source of sales which can be planned and budgeted for. (Jonathon suggests that that budget should not be too skimpy).
Here’s What You’ll Hear
In spelling out the biggest mistakes you can make as an affiliate marketer and best moves , Jonathon reminds us to stick to business fundamentals. Not only because there’s nothing more important to a business than monetization, but also because he’s seen some real horror stories play out when businesses weren’t prepared for changes that were beyond their control.
Listen now to hear Jonathon’s take on:
- How the 2008 economic crisis was a catalyst for new affiliates
- What’s working well for affiliates and advertisers in the pay for performance model
- The biggest mistakes affiliate marketers make and how to avoid them
- The risks of depending on a business channel you don’t control
- How to identify the right from the wrong kind of education
- How to create a winning combination of content and engagement
- The top three skills an affiliate marketer needs to be successful
- What we can expect for the future of affiliate marketing
Resources - What OfferForge Offers
OfferForge has great resources for affiliate marketers and advertisers, especially if you’re looking to reach the booming population of mobile users in Africa:
- The easiest way for publishers to get rewarded for their content - https://offerforge.com/publishers/
- A way for advertisers to reach new customers, increase sales and pay for results – https://offerforge.com/advertisers/
- A media partner that delivers for agencies - https://offerforge.com/agencies/
- The OfferForge Blog - https://offerforge.com/news/